Monday, April 4, 2011

32/40.

I have been reading some stuff lately that indicates that the natural gestational period is closer to 42 weeks, though. 40 weeks was adopted as normal thanks a friendly German called Naegele who declared 40 weeks to be ideal based on the Bible and a miscalculation of lunar months. The medical establishment never bothered fact-checking and have been going with 40 weeks as normal ever since, even though several studies show that normal is more like 41.5 weeks. Point is, maybe I'm 32/42? Sounds less scary, anyway.

How far along? 32 weeks.
Total weight gain/loss: Not sure, ate breakfast first thing this morning and so have no accurate weight.
Maternity clothes? Aye. Need more shirts - I'm outgrowing some of them.
Stretch marks? None that I can notice, I think.
Sleep: Good, except for some weird recurring dreams. At least a couple times a week I dream that Jim comes out and is already talking and I'm very annoyed that he isn't a baby.
Best moment this week: Nothing particularly stands out. Getting taxes done and over with doesn't count, does it?
Movement: All the time. He's moved upwards now towards my ribcage, which means less back pain and more (but still woefully diminished) bladder capacity but also more painful rib kicks and a complete inability to bend at the waist.
Food cravings: Strawberries. Any fruit, really, but especially strawberries.
Gender: Maennlich.
Labor Signs: Had really bad menstrual-style cramps twice in the last week - apparently these are contractions. They weren't at all regular and didn't last long, though, so I didn't bother calling the doctor. I'll ask about it when I go in next.
Belly Button in or out? In, still, but kind of sore like it's being stretched. Which it is. Obviously.
What I miss: Going several hours without peeing. I can't wait to have a normal bladder capacity again.
What I am looking forward to: Another ultrasound on Friday. I've been having a crazy amount of ultrasounds - damn fibroid.
Weekly Wisdom: There's really nothing worth getting stressed over. This includes the natural but irritating chubbifying of my feet, ankles, and fingers.
Milestones: Nothing big, but Noah can generally now tell where Jim is just by looking at me. He likes to lie on my right side and make me all asymmetrical.

3 comments:

Oma said...

Yeah, that 9 month thing always got me when it's closer to 10. Jimmy will appear when he wants to so relax, as much as you can with a foot in your ribs!

Kevin said...

See? The answer really is 42!

YoMomma said...

Leah, that 10 month incubator thing is looking more likely to me...